1.14.2013

Traveling is a Mindset #2: Let Adventure Unfold Without Anger or Resistance

Courtesy of Soul Coaching Oracle Cards by Denise Linn.
Copyright 2005, Hay House Inc.
When I’m traveling and things don’t go as planned, I often get a rush of excitement.  Although sometimes it’s a little scary, I think of it as an adventure, an opportunity for a great story when it’s all said and done.  At home I notice I tend to be much more impatient and short when things don’t go as planned. Honestly, I usually get angry, which is something I rarely do when I’m traveling. How silly I’ve been to not apply my free wheeling travel philosophy to life when I’m at home.

I challenge you to view daily mishaps as an opportunity. There is a flow to life and when you don’t resist, you just let experiences happen (even if it’s not how you planned) often something positive will come from it.  Don’t make things harder then they need to be, just enjoy and watch things unfold.

Susie-Q
This actually happened to me today.  My entire day was planned out.  Things took a curve ball when I noticed a dog running in the road about to get hit by several cars.  I pulled over to see if I could call the dog out of traffic, I left my car door open so I could make a quick escape if the dog was not friendly (I’m a bit intimidated by big dogs).  Lone behold she ran right by me out of traffic and hopped into the back seat of my car.

All plans were off, I now had a huge pit bull/lab occupying my backseat with nowhere to go. I know, I’m supposed to call the animal shelter but I knew that if the owner did not come forward within a few days, there was a good chance she would be put down. Her name was Susie-Q and she was such a sweet loving dog, she became my best friend for the day. We created quite the adventure searching for her owner. Visiting local vet’s, parks and neighborhoods asking if anyone new her and putting up found dog signs. When the sun went down and there was still no sign of Susie-Q’s owner, I was going to have to keep her for the night.

Then a little miracle happened. I had found the dog near my parent’s house (who live fairly close to me). My father was in his backyard letting his dog out when he heard a woman yelling Susie-Q from the street below. He called out to her and it was the owner.  She lived a couple of neighborhoods away, just got home from work and noticed the dog was missing. She was franticly searching the surrounding streets; she hadn’t seen any of the signs I put up because it was dark. Thankfully my father was in his backyard and heard her, it was all a bit serendipitous. Susie-Q had unexpectedly escaped from the yard and her tags were not properly updated. The happy owner was sobbing with joy and so thankful that we had the dog.

So while my day did not go as planned, in fact nothing I planned was completed, I had a fabulous experience and helped someone else out. It felt great and I’m going to bed with a smile. Cheers to traveling at home through new experiences. Have you ever experienced a time when things didn't go as planned but turned out better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment